Well, in my previous blog I mentioned my Dr. told me that I would feel younger. If he meant that I wouldn't be able to sleep all night and stay up until 5am, he was right! I finally fell asleep after eating a bowl of Cheerios. My Grandpa Thatcher always ate a bowl of Honey-Nut Cheerios before going to bed. It really worked for me last night. I fell right to sleep after eating :) It's funny what one remembers about their grandparents.
In my tossing and turning I was thinking about a friend of mine who is getting plastic surgery. This is isn't my first friend to do this, but the first who is LDS. I've always promised myself that I would get a breast lift as my 40th birthday present to myself. Being sick these past couple of weeks and having surgery on my hand last September, I am rethinking my whole 40th birthday plan. It would all be in the name of Vanity, right?
So, this got me thinking last night as I was tossing and turning...Is getting optional plastic surgery vain? I thought through all the reasons one might give as justification for it. "To feel better about myself," "I've always wanted to do it," or my favorite "I want to do something for me after my divorce to be more attractive." I myself have the excuse and justification that if I get my breast lift when I'm 40, they will be right back where they are now when I'm 80!
I remember a couple years ago a talk given in Conference that advised women of the church to not give into the wordly preoocupation of self and on the physical. We were warned that it is spiritually destructive. I tried to find the talk and this link will take you to the one I think it is. If it isn't, please correct me!
LDS.org - Ensign Article - To Young Women
I could probably go on all day about this, and I know that my nieces read this. I just want them to know that we all come in different shapes and sizes. No one is a perfect size or shape! Look in the mirror and celebrate what makes you wonderful and special! I will start! I love my freckles. Have I always? Nope. In junior high I hated them. I love my hair. It sometimes curls, but it has a little bit of red in it (naturally) and it brings out the little bit of green in my eyes, which I also love. I love that I have an hour-glass shape too! I am not a small shaped person and never will be, but I have been given this body for a reason, important reasons. One of those important reasons is to perform service like Visiting Teaching! There are so many things that I love about myself that once I start thinking about them, the small things I don't like become pretty insignificant. Of course, these are physical things, which are pretty unimportant. The real importance is what kind of person you are and who you want to be! I am also including Natasha Bedingfield's Song Freckles. I love that song and pretty much sums up what I am talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrIA-DZmtGQ
Just this last weekend I was out with some friends and we were discussing this very topic and someone even mentioned the talk by Elder Holland. So thanks for posting it for me and reminding me to read it.
ReplyDeleteI never knew there was a song about freckles. I tell Alessia all the time that a face without freckles is like a sky without stars because every day she wants to take a bath and wash them off her face (sadly she is only three).
And one more thing, I don't think you need a boob lift. You look great. Or at least the last time I saw you you did and I doubt you look much different.