Sunday, April 11, 2010

Advice from a Friend

Today I spoke with a friend who gave me some advice. He asked about my dating life and I told him that it is nonexistent, which is 100% true! I told him that I thought it was because I'm at a weird age, 36, where guys my age are looking for younger girls and guys older than I are looking to not have any more kids or are just weird if they haven't been married yet. He asked me what I do to throw my interest out there? I replied that I throw parties and invite the guys who I'm interested in or I attend functions and make sure they are going to be there. He told me that I need to flirt to show my interest. He also told me that if I wanted to ask out a guy, to just do it. I then told him that I am fearful of rejection. He told me that guys get rejected all the time and it's no big deal. I then quoted the line from the pig on Toy Story, "I just don't know if I can take that kind of rejection!" He laughed, then got down to business.

He suggested for the flirting that I do "The Elbow Touch." He wasn't the first guy friend of mine to suggest this. I couldn't believe that this is a real flirting tool! I don't even know how to do this! I guess I'll have to try it at HB Single's Conference in a couple of weeks. There will be a ton of men that I will be able to experiment on.

As for asking out a guy, he suggested I ask him out of ice cream. He compared this to asking someone to have coffee, but since we are dealing with Mormons, he suggested the ice cream. He said if it is enjoyable, then try for another date. I admit that this sounds easy enough, but I really don't like the fact that I may have to ask the guy out.

This all feels a little weird and I guess I will have to force myself to do both things because I don't want to be alone all my life, even though not getting involved or dating would be easier. Ugghh!!! Here it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment